The legal department of the City of Miami is established by the City Charter and comprised of the city attorney and the administrative support required to provide municipal legal services. The city attorney is selected and employed by the City Council and advises, represents, and defends many of the boards and authorities of which the City of Miami is a beneficiary.
The city attorney’s responsibilities include:
- The drafting, amending and/or reviewing of ordinances, resolutions, rules, policies, procedures, proclamations, contracts, purchases, and other legal documents.
- Collaboration with the City Council, staff, and third-party attorneys in prosecuting and/or defending claims, controversies, litigation and administrative proceedings involving the City.
- Offering advice and issuing legal opinions to the City’s elected officials, officers, employees, and the City’s various boards and authorities.
- Serving as the city prosecutor in the Municipal Court.
- Assisting the city clerk and other department heads in responding to Open Records Requests.