Street Project Proposal
Over 2 million dollars is budgeted this fiscal year (FY15/16) for street and alley improvements. The approved plan includes the reconstruction of two complete streets, patching and overlay of 3 streets, replacement of two alleys in the downtown business district, several large soft spot/concrete panel repairs, over seven miles of crack seal and micro-surfacing, and the replacement of the bridge on West Veterans Boulevard.
Crack sealing can reduce pavement deterioration by restricting water penetration into underlying base and subbase layers. Simply stated, sealing cracks and joints in pavements extends the service life of the surface treatment and the pavement. The benefits are realized in three to five years when it becomes obvious that the pavement has not deteriorated. Crack sealing prior to micro surfacing enhances the treatment and further extends the pavement life. Micro surfacing is scheduled for this spring.
January 4th, 2016 is the projected start date for the alley reconstruction from Central North to 1st NW.
Streets on the list for replacement or two inch overlays for 201May 2016 are:
- Sunset Strip from E Street to G Street SW
- C Street SW from Steve Owens Boulevard to 2nd Avenue SW
- Willow Lane
- 19th Avenue NE from B Street to D Street
- West Alley from Central north to 1st NW
- East Alley from Central south
Streets on the list for Crack Seal (to begin Monday, December 7th 2015 subject to wet weather conditions) & Micro-surface repair (scheduled to begin in the spring of 2016) are:
- 22nd Avenue NW from Main to H Street NW
- Elm Street from Steve Owens Boulevard to Chris Lane
- Rockdale Boulevard from new Rockdale Bridge to 69A
- Central from Main east to Elm Street
- H Street NW from 4th Street to 9th Street
- West BJ Tunnell from Main to Railroad tracks
- B Street NW from 12th to East BJ Tunnell
- Main Street from Steve Owens to 1st Avenue NE
- Goodrich Boulevard from Main to P Street