As an employee of the City of Miami there are many excellent benefits available, including:
- Sick Leave - Sick leave with pay is granted to the full-time employees of the City of Miami as a means of protecting them in the event of absence from work due to prolonged illness or disability. Eligible employees accrue sick leave on a monthly basis. The accrual rate shall be 1.25 days (10 hours) per month for each employee. Sick leave eligibility shall begin the first day after the first full calendar month of employment. Accrual shall occur on the last day of each month.
- Vacation - Vacations with pay are granted as a reward for diligent service so employees may gain rest and relaxation. To be eligible for paid vacations, employees of the City of Miami must have been employed full-time for a period of one year. Eligible employees accrue vacation on a monthly basis. The accrual rate is determined by their years of completed service.
- Holidays - All full-time employees receive the following paid holidays. Please contact Human Resources for information regarding police and firefighter's paid holidays.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Day
- President's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veteran's Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- Funeral Leave - In the event of death of a member of the employee's immediate family, the employee will be granted leave with pay for two or up to a maximum of five working days to attend the funeral of the deceased. Information is available from the Human Resource Department.
- Jury Duty - Employees in permanent, full-time positions that are selected for jury duty may request and receive pay for lost work time while performing this civic duty.
- Health Insurance - All full-time employees are eligible for participation in the city's group health insurance plan. This insurance covers certain hospital, doctor and medical charges for the employee. The City of Miami pays 100% of the cost of the employee's health insurance coverage. Any employee who wishes to enroll dependents under the group health insurance program may do so but the employee must pay the additional cost per month of dependent coverage.
- Dental - Dental insurance is available to the employee and dependents at an additional cost to the employee.
- Vision - Vision insurance is available to the employee and dependents at an additional cost to the employee.
- Prescription Card - Prescription card is available to the employee; however, the employee is responsible for co-payments of the generic and/or brand name drugs or 30% of the discounted drug price, whichever is greater.
- Retirement Plan - All employees occupying full-time positions in the Governmental Division, Special Utility Department, or the Departments of Public Utilities are covered by the retirement plan. Normal retirement age is 65. The employee contributes 3% and employer 10.6%. (Participation is compulsory unless prohibited by age at time of employment. Upon termination of employment with the city the employee can request a refund of the amount withheld from their check.)
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan - Participation is voluntary. Members elect to reduce their current taxable income by deferring part of their salary into the plan (pretax contributions).
Supplemental & Life Insurance Options
- AFLAC - Employees have the option to elect to participate in the 125 Cafeteria Plan, which allows employees supplemental insurance, dependent insurance, or flexible spending accounts deducted on a pre-taxed basis. Information and application forms are available upon request from the Human Resource Department.
- Short-Term Disability - Short-term disability is available to all eligible full-time employees. Information is available upon request.
- Life Insurance - All full-time employees are entitled to group life insurance. This insurance is provided at no charge to the employee. This benefit also includes accidental death and dismemberment insurance. The amount is equivalent to the employees' annual salary.
- Supplemental Life Insurance - Full-time employees can buy supplemental life insurance. Rates are based on the age of the participants and payments are made from a payroll deduction.
Other Incentives / Benefits
- Utility Discount - A 20% discount is provided to all full-time employees who have city utilities.
- Educational Development Incentive - All employees holding permanent full-time positions and who have been employed by the City of Miami for at least one year will be eligible for consideration of educational assistance. The city will reimburse all approved non-union employees 75% of tuition and books for career development training, successfully completed with a grade B or better. Information is available from the Human Resource Department.
- Employee Assistance Program - This program is a resource to help employees with counseling, consultation, and child / family services in areas of concern which could include substance abuse, marital discord, family conflicts, job stress, self-doubt / low self-esteem, adjustment to divorce, bereavement, aging parents, legal, financial problems, or physical and emotional problems.